The TS in ISO/TS 16949 stands for technical specification. The standard has not yet been granted full ISO standard status.ISO/TS-16949 is an ISO technical specification which aligns existing US, German, French and Italian automotive quality system standards within the global automotive industry. It specifies the quality system requirements for the design/development, production, installation and servicing of automotive-related products.
Benifits of ISO/TS-16949
ISO/ TS 16949 offers the following benefits:
- Improves product and process quality, reducing overheads, waste and error.
- Increases on-time delivery.
- Ensures absolute consistency throughout the supply chain.
- Satisfies automotive mandates of International Automotive Task Force (IATF) members around the world.
- Eliminates the need for compliance to multiple third party registrations in different countries.
As an international ISO specification
- Anyone can acquire a copy of this International Technical Specification, ISO/TS16949:2002, through ISO.
- Anyone can utilize this document to improve their Quality Management Systems.
- ISO TS 16949 is an international specification to which an organization can be certified by a 3rd party certification body or registrar.
The goal of ISO/TS 16949 is the development of a quality management system that provides for continual improvement, emphasizing defect prevention and the reduction of variation and waste in the supply chain.